BlabberSplat

Confessions of a desperate actor with a bad case of island fever.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Culture Convention

Bermuda is just coming off from it's annual 4 day weekend.....or what is known as "Cupmatch". Thursday and Friday were both national holidays; Thursday was the celebration of Emancipation Day, which is in honour of the freedom of slaves in Bermuda and Friday was 'Somers Day' marking the colonisation of Bermuda by Sir George Somers some very many years ago.

On top of this, it is called cup match because the cricket teams of each end of the island, known as Somerset and St. George's battle it out in a two day cricket match. Bermuda loves cricket and there is a serious, yet friendly, rivalry between these two teams each year. It's one of my favorite times of the year....everyone goes camping, no one gives a shit about anything and everyone drinks, sings, eats fish on a bun and is merry. I think it might be the highest volume of Bermudian culture one person can consume in 4 days and it's one of the year's highlights. I love going to the game and I don't even understand cricket!!! But my team won again this year which makes me smile my big St. George's smile!
It's a joyous time for all and there is always something going on, be it monstrous bbq's, beach festivities, boating extravaganza's or in my case, an excuse to get more sleep than you need.

And that's what my lovah and I did. I do kind of wish I'd 'ripped it up' a little more but I do not regret waking up hangover-free each morning. Many of my friends were not as lucky. Well, here's to a relaxing long-weekend and spending time with my lovah!

Thinking about going back to work tomorrow makes me want to cry and have a temper tantrum. I really don't know how much longer I can last without turning into the tazmanian she-devil. I can just see the whirlwind of paper cups and espresso now.......

1 Comments:

Blogger Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

Do it! Turn into the Tazmanian She Devil! What have you got to lose? Your job? So what?! Have a fit!

I very much enjoyed the culture you described! It's so neat how different places are all...different and stuff.

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home