BlabberSplat

Confessions of a desperate actor with a bad case of island fever.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

it's over?

So the show has come to it's inevitable end and I'm feeling rather lost this day after. It's some kind of post-partum funk and I almost always exerience it.... but even more so this time around..... We, as a team, brought forth our own unique version of this time-old tale and we succeeded in entertaining the masses. We also achieved, (perhaps, one of the most rewarding gifts of the whole process) in acknowledging our work as collaborative; as equals sharing the same intention of offering up our talents, hard work and energy. It wasn't about us, it was all about them and always will be. The people I had the honour to work with inspired me; from the 11 year old girl to the 68 year old man. I was inundated with fortune.
It may be trite, but you really do become like a family. It's the only experience in life where I've grown to care so deeply about a group of people in such a short period of time. but that's all part of the magic of the theatre....and you always want more. you know what i'm talking about. you're all like my family too.

the other greatest part of this show were the little girls who came backstage to see me after EVERY performance. I learned quickly, after the first time this happened that I needed to keep my wig on until I was done hugging and writing them notes in their programs. the first time i took off my wig, walked out of my dressing room and 3 girls stopped me and said, "who were you in the play?" and i said "i was belle!" with a great big, enthusiastic disney smile and one girl, quite abruptly says, "You look different." and that was it.
from then on, i kept the wig on and had the time of my life watching the faces of these little girls light up. It made my night every time. they really believe you are 'it'. they get nervous, shy, overjoyed and one small darling actually cried. i won't drag the blog on but i need to retell the story....

so, one matinee i emerge from my dressing room to find 3 gorgeous little girls all dressed up in their own yellow belle gowns. you know the one. they were soooo excited to show me their dresses and i made sure to go on and on about how beautiful they looked. (I must admit, i'm superb with the little ones) then i see another little girl hiding behind a corner so i go over to her and give her a hug and compliment her on her pearls. she's wearing an ordinary floral print dress and can't seem to take her eyes off the other girls adorned in their 'belle' gowns. then she starts tearing up and whispers to me, "I...have a dress like that at home too....I was going to wear it, but...um, it didn't fit me".
oh my gosh, i thought i was going to lose it. I quickly told her that her dress was even more beautiful because it was blue and yellow like both of my dresses and that it was better because it was unique. then i hugged her again and continued to dwell on the beauty of her pearls.

i could cry just thinking about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I am crying my eyes out right now. I wish you were 15 years older than me and I was a little kid living in Bermuda. I'd go see you and you'd change my life. you'd be the reason I would go into theatre.

10:29 AM  
Blogger skinny-rabbit said...

I am also... ok, not crying, but watering and getting emotional.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

aww, love you

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home