BlabberSplat

Confessions of a desperate actor with a bad case of island fever.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Focus and ye shall succeed

It's funny how you can come away from some rehearsals feeling like the scene just shat all over you and others like some sort of magical wand has touched the air your walking on. Last night was one of the latter ones. I had moments in my scene when I felt so connected......I know that's a vague term in actor language, but it was as if I finally found the honesty, the bridge between the Jessie and the Belle.....The Belle within the Jessie.....or something like that. We rehearsed the scenes where the Beast saves my life, I dress his wolf wounds, we go on to eat soup, and then he gives me my own library. It was a long night, but a worthwhile one.

I hope tonight is one of the more focused rehearsals, too. I'm just begininng to realise how important it is to "stay in" what your doing the WHOLE time. I've always known this to be a necessity, but applying it 100% now seems vital. I seem to have some form of A.D.D sometimes and our cast is notorious for breaking away and cracking jokes at every opportune moment......so it's easy to lose focus sometimes, but when you really get in and commit to it, everything works. I did learn that once upon a time in theatre school, it's the application that needs to stick.

for example, skinnyrabbit and I's infamous 'apple scene'. We were unfocused and awkward.....we are like that in real life anyway, so the scene kinda worked.....but our instructor saw right through it. i cant believe on top of all that, i did the scene in my underwear. no wonder he couldn't stop laughing........

well, here's hoping that tonight's rehearsal of the highly dramatic "transformation and finale" will prove me to be the actor I wish to be.................

but something tells me I won't see her for another 40 years.

4 Comments:

Blogger skinny-rabbit said...

Honey, you're already the actor you wish to be... did you SEE you in Mary Traverse? Were you not watching your every move and constant professionalism throughout the entire reherasal proces, like the rest of us did?

6:55 PM  
Blogger The ArtofBeingMe said...

that's very kind.

we should just put aside all this tension and get married already.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I did not like the title of your post as it seems to refer to building character in the not theatre sense. But then I read the whole post and enjoyed it thoroughly. like peanut butter.

I love being able to "stay in" the whole time.

Working at a Renaissance Faire requires that you stay in for 10 hours which is near impossible as it's very hot, you get stupid patrons, you get hungry and there's fun stuff to talk about that has nothing to do with 1524. But there were days when I was Maria Franchesca Louisa Christina Rosita Tequila Margarita Cardoz for a very long time. and it felt good.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

oh yeah, and you are the actor that I, at least, wish to be.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home